N. Langford Smith

Name ID 1758

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 28

e. THE END OF THE WAR AND THE END OF AN ERA:

Wynn Jones left in 1943 for a long overdue leave and a long overdue consecration as Assistant Bishop. Colonel Lace took his place for 18 months, then at the end of the war returned to England and Monkton Coombe. Rev. Neville Langford Smith, now Bishop of Nakuru in Kenya, was appointed Acting Headmaster in 1945 and held the post for 17 months. More details of the life of Wynn Jones are recorded in Appendix M

Enrolments had gradually increased during the war and in 1945, a new burst of optimism and enthusiasm for development brought new settlers, new commercial enterprise and the Overseas Food Corporation for the Kongwa Groundnut Scheme which proved abortive.

The school had grown well beyond the resources of the mission to staff it, and the need was felt for some kind of board to advise the Bishop in its management. The Diocesan Council recommended in 1945, “that a Board of Governors, be formed to advise and assist in the administration of Arusha School”, and also asked the Bishop to bring before the Board of Governors when formed the urgent necessity of immediate action to secure adequate and efficient staff for Arusha School.

Another factor which became relevant was the attitude of the settlers. There had always been some antipathy between the missionaries and the settlers which Wynn Jones in a personal way had helped to alleviate, Nevertheless it was true that the Europeans had their own chaplains and churches and in the 1930s pressed for their own Anglican Province. A survey carried out in 1937 reported that non-missionary European opinion was “solidly in favour of a province and that as quickly as possible. This was governed partly be a desire to see these East African dioceses freed from what they would regard as missionary control. It would also be an opportunity of increasing British control, prestige and power, and in some cases the settlers would welcome this as a way of keeping both the missionary and the native in his place”.

There was little wonder then that some of the settlers were unhappy about mission control of a Government school for their children. There was no direct or organised parental pressure, but at a meeting of parents, concern was expressed about the quality of the staff because teachers who accepted such low rates of pay could not possibly be good! Some letters to the press in August 1943 commented on the position, the following being typical: “The situation whereby the Diocese of Central Tanganyika acts as an agent for the Government in providing staff at lower rates of pay than the Government could offer, was accepted in 1933 as to best way of providing European education at the sort of price Tanganyika at that time was able to pay”. Another letter from a parent in the same month said, "”t would appear that the Government is shirking its responsibility for European education at the expense of the missions.”

Lace in his speech day in 1944 tried to answer these criticisms as follows: “The European population owes much to the Bishop, To some, the religious basis of the school can make no appeal. I am convinced that it is the only basis on which a school can really succeed. I have been happy to work under the Bishop and try to run the school on that basis”.

Extract ID: 4933

See also

Arusha School Headmasters
Extract Date: 1945-46

N Langford Smith

Arusha School Headmaster

Extract ID: 4580

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 29

f. NEW MANAGEMENT:

There was a clash of opinion within the mission over the future of the school. Langford Smith, its Acting Headmaster, took a strong line in claiming that the school drained staff from the mission and so depleted the African missionary work. Others believed that once the commitment had been made, the mission should fulfil its obligation and use the opportunities it provided.

There were several consultations between the Diocese and the Advisory Committee on European Education and, in the end, a new agreement was reached. The details of it are in Appendix C and it may be summarized as follows:

"The Government will take over the management of Arusha School as from 1st January, 1946. The association of the Diocese with this school which it has managed on behalf of the Government since the school was built in 1933, was to be maintained by the appointment of the Bishop as Warden and Chairman of the School Advisory Council, by the appointment to the staff of a chaplain, and by consultation with the Diocese or its representative in U.K. when staff appointments are made. These provisions in the agreement had the full approval of the advisory Committee on European Education which expressed its high appreciation of the past work of the Diocese in connection with the school".

Extract ID: 4934
www.nTZ.info