Tait

Name ID 1987

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 15

h. THE INTEGRATED SYSTEM 1962:

1961, the final year of the separate racial organisation of education, the expenditure was £424,965 for European, £590,993 for Indian, £41,207 for other non native and £3,620,257 for African education. It was true that special taxation and fees provided a part of the expenditure on non-African education, that those parents contributed much to the general wealth of the country, and that the separate systems were comparatively modest. It was also true however that there was a far higher expenditure per pupil in the non-native schools and there were school places for virtually all non native children, but for only 44% of African children in 1,061 and only 20% of those could proceed beyond primary standard.

In 1955, Riddy & Tait had commended the smooth running; of the multiple system but noted that there was no attempt whatever at consultation or cooperation between the systems. They recommended that “the different systems would gain if there were, at the highest level some council or committee, composed of representatives of all the communities that live in the Territory, which could discuss and advise on matters of educational interest in the Territory as a whole.” They recommended some exploration and thinking in the sphere of multi-racial education, and the formation of a professional society for all teachers. The latter recommendation was implemented in 1960 when the “Unified Teaching Service” was formed to unify salaries and conditions of service for teachers employed by various agencies.

As the movement for independence accelerated in the late 1950s, educational separatism became intolerable. In 1958, the Government announced that it had “accepted as an objective, the development of a single system of education for Tanganyika.” This was defined as follows: “Any child should be eligible for admission to any school in the territory, if his aptitude for the language of instruction is such that he should be able to maintain his place in the school; provided that:

a. in the case of primary schools, priority should be given for a period of 3 years from the date at which the Non Native Education Tax ceases to be payable, to the children of the community for whom the school was established, and

b. the style of living at boarding schools should be appropriate for the community concerned”.

It was also recommended that pending the implementation of the legislation, all schools should be encouraged to admit pupils of all races to vacancies not required by the community for which the schools were established. The legislation came into effect on lst January, 1962.

Extract ID: 4922

See also

Nettelbeck, David A history of Arusha School, Tanzania
Page Number: 32

b: THE PATTERN OF ORGANISATION:

A new boarding block had been opened in 1939. The next building in 1949 was a lavish sanatorium with accommodation for 16 sick children, 4 isolation rooms, large outpatient treatment facilities and a nurse's flat. A temporary branch school in the former German School premises 100 miles away at Oldeani was opened in 1950 and remained open for two years; and in 1951 a new junior block came into use at the school. It included dormitories for 48, 4 staff flats, 3 classrooms, a common room, a kitchen, and a hall seating, up to 400 people. A new kitchen in the original school building was opened in 1954. Riddy and Tait described it as "exceptionally well planned", and it held in its basement a large maintenance workshop, handicraft room and stores. The graph in appendix F shows the rapid increase in enrolments in the early 19508 with a levelling out, but a gradual increase in the number of day pupils as Arusha town grew in the late 1950s.

After 1946, all staff salaries were paid from Dar es Salaam, all school accounts were paid from a Government vote by the local Revenue Office and fees were receipted with an exchequer receipt and paid into the Revenue Office.

The educational problems of the school were much the same as they had been in the 1930: and 1940s. Riddy and Tait summarized them as the lack of a clearly drawn. line of demarcation between the primary and secondary stages, a shortage of staff with specialised knowledge and experience, the dislocation caused by boarders who came without previous schooling, the wide range of ability in the command of English and the number of examinations for which students presented themselves: at best these had to be borne in mind by the teachers, and at worst they dictated the pattern of education which the school gave. On the other hand, Riddy and Tait commended a favourable staff-student ratio, the devotion of the staff, the interest which the European Education Authority and the parents;' took in the school, a full and happy boarding life and excellent facilities, with buildings and playing fields of which any preparatory school in the United Kingdom might well be proud!

Extract ID: 4937
www.nTZ.info